What If ? You Slip and Fall on Government Property

What If? You Slip and Fall on Government Property

If you slip and fall at someone’s home or business, you may be eligible for financial compensation. In cases where someone’s negligence caused the accident, you have the right to pursue an insurance claim or lawsuit against the liable party.

When you slip and fall on government property, however, your case becomes more complex. Claims against the government follow different rules and procedures than claims against private citizens in Washington civil court. In these situations, it is important to work with an attorney who can represent your case.

Slip and Fall accidents on a Government property.

If you slip and fall on government property, you could file a lawsuit against a government agency. Through your claim, you could recover compensatory damages for medical care, lost wages, and other losses.

To secure compensation in your case, you will need to prove that the entity or an employee was negligent and that the negligence was responsible for your accident. You must also prove that an unsafe condition caused your slip and fall and that the entity failed to fix the problem.

For example, say that you are visiting the Washington State Department of Licensing when you slip and fall on cracked concrete. The agency was aware of the issue but failed to fix it or warn visitors. If the agency had fixed the issue, your accident would not have occurred.

Important Rules and Requirements for Government Claims

Claims involving government agencies have different requirements than personal injury lawsuits against private property owners. Before you can pursue a claim against a federal, state, or municipal government agency, you must first file a notice of injury.

The information that you supply in your notice may vary depending on whether you are filing a federal or state claim. However, you will typically need to provide the following information.

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • The date of your injury
  • A summary of how the slip and fall accident happened
  • How the government’s negligence caused your injuries
  • A description of your injuries

If you are filing a claim against a Washington state agency, you must file your notice within three years from the date of your slip and fall accident. Then, the state will review your claim and you will have 60 days from the date that you file your claim form to file a lawsuit.

In cases involving local government agencies, you will need to check the rules and requirements for the municipality. Many of these entities follow similar procedures to state agencies.