After you have been engaged in an auto accident where it was no fault of yours, the other driver of the car is usually responsible for paying your medical bills. It is done normally through the insurer. But the insurer of the other driver is unlikely to pay for the doctors immediately or reimburse the bills for the visits of the doctor. A settlement with the insurance company may take months to materialize or even years in some cases depending on the length of your medical treatment. During this period most of the doctors or hospitals have to be paid immediately. If you fail to do so they will send your case to collections.
Common expenses arising out of a car accident
In most cases, three important kinds of expenses arise from auto accidents viz.,
1. Medical expenses: The costs involved in emergency medical care, visiting the specialist, and the follow-up appointments with different doctors are commonplace after any serious injury from a car accident. These expenses may amount to a serious total when you are forced to undergo surgery, or have to stay in the hospital for a long time, or if some of the treatment is not covered by the medical insurance.
2. Car replacement or repair: When your car has sustained considerable damage it might be required to be repaired or replaced. It can also add up to hundreds or thousands of dollars.
3. Loss of income: When the injuries you have sustained in a car accident are severe you may be forced to miss work. It means you will be missing out on your earning. In some of the cases, you might have to sit out for weeks or even months if the sustained injuries do not permit you to resume the work duties.
Apart from these important factors, you can face other incidental expenses such as,
- Follow-up during medical care that includes on-going care and rehabilitation.
- Need for wheelchairs, crutches, and other medical expenses.
- Getting grab bars or other similar accessibility facilities during the recovery.
- Personal support at the house such as child care and help for running errands and house cleaning.
- Transportation such as car rental or taxis etc.
- If you are accused of being responsible for the accident there will be legal costs.
- Repair or replacement of laptops, cell phones, and other personal items damaged during the accident.
Car accident insurance
If you have insurance for car accidents you can assume that you are well covered. But the insurance companies are looking to resolve these clams fast and for lower amounts. Likely, they will not take into consideration the incidental costing such as the costs needed to make your house more accessible after you have suffered a serious injury in the car accident. Insurers might not take into consideration the permanent or long term costs of the injuries. It is also possible that the treatment may become more expensive due to inflation.
If you are looking to get a no-obligation, free evaluation for finding out the worth of the injuries in a car accident that took place in the Tampa, FL area, get in touch with Rojas Law Group. This firm offers a free consultation with an expert attorney in car accidents. Their legal team has decades of legal experience in helping out the drivers such as yourself in the state.
Picture Credit: Freepik