Pedestrian Accident Lawsuits In Florida! Everything You Need To Know!

Pedestrian Accident Lawsuits In Florida! Everything You Need To Know!

Crosswalks can be dangerous to the health of pedestrians if car drivers are not paying attention. On the other hand, if you are an attentive driver and some jaywalker walks into the path of your car your life will change in an instant. In Florida, pedestrian accidents take place mostly at night. The reason for this being visibility. These pedestrian accidents take place more in cities than in rural places.

Reasons behind pedestrian accidents

After the new drivers have completed the classes for Driver’s Education, they will start concentrating on cars. Many times, they forget to think about the pedestrians and the different laws that are in place to protect the pedestrians. The Driver Education institutes always focus on “not hitting the person”. This can lead to the new drivers forgetting about the pedestrian law until much later when they are driving recklessly. Some of the typical reasons for the pedestrian accidents are,

  • Deciding to let all the pedestrians go through in a crosswalk but not being able to stop the car in time.
  • Drinking and driving.
  • Irritating slowdowns due to bad weather, traffic, or crowd.
  • Failure to stop the car completely at the stop sign.
  • Failure to maintain control of your car.

When you are walking at nights, it is a good idea to use bright clothing that will make you stand out. Using reflective strips for the walkers and headlamps for the drivers is useful. You may feel silly but it is better than being injured or end up dead.

Types of injuries in a pedestrian accident

You can sustain serious injuries when a vehicle hits a pedestrian. A huge piece of metal is hitting a small individual and in most cases, this individual is not fully clothed because of playing basketball in the evening. In fact, anyone who can survive such an accident is astonishing. It is common to find severe injuries as in most cases, as the victim will not be wearing any protective gear. The forward momentum the car carries is transferred to the pedestrian, which may cause the person to be thrown many feet or yards away. After the pedestrian has hit the ground, you can get broken bones, head injuries, and lacerations. Some of the worse injuries that may occur are,

  • Spinal injuries.
  • Brain injuries.
  • Lacerations.
  • Fractures.
  • Loss of limbs.
  • Paralysis.

Florida right of the way laws

As per the Florida state pedestrian laws, the walker needs to obey the traffic control devices unless otherwise specified by the police officers. The device includes signals, traffic signs, and pavement striping. If there is a sidewalk available, the pedestrians do not need to use the roads. In case the sidewalk is not there or is under construction the walker must walk on the left shoulder of the road facing the oncoming traffic. While crossing the road the pedestrians are,

  • Not permitted to leave the curbs unless the traffic signal permits them to.
  • Keep on the right half side of the crosswalk.
  • Required to keep in mind that the transit is subject to the traffic signals.
  • Walkers are not allowed to yield to the right-of-the-way cars.
  • Required to cross the road at a right angle or by using the shortest route except in case of marked crosswalks.
  • Allowed to cross the sidewalk diagonally only when authorized by the traffic control device.
  • Not allowed to cross in the middle of adjacent intersections unless it is marked.

There are several other laws but they are more specific to certain odd situations.

For pedestrian accidents, the state of Florida follows a pure comparative negligence standard. It means if a person is responsible 99% for the accident, he or she still may collect the remaining 1% of the damages. If you want to consult professionals in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, you can talk to Rojas Law Group and they can assist you with the filing a claim.

Picture Credit: Pexels